Courtesy Pay is an opt-in service we offer for overdraft coverage
We currently provide overdraft coverage, called Courtesy Pay, for your checking account. This means that if you attempt to spend or withdraw more money than you have in your account, we may pay the overdrawn amount. This coverage differs from other overdraft services we offer, such as linking your account to another account with us or an overdraft line of credit.
Here's how to add Courtesy Pay to your checking account
- You must complete our Courtesy Pay Online Opt-In application* to obtain coverage for ATM withdrawals and one-time debit card purchases
- A $29 fee** is charged each time we pay an overdraft
*To request Courtesy Pay overdraft coverage for ATM withdrawals and one-time debit card purchases, please contact a member services representative at any of our branches. You may also contact us at 800-300-9728 to make this request.
**Fee subject to change with proper advance notice to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Courtesy Pay overdraft protection?
- How do I opt in to keep my Courtesy Pay overdraft protection working as it does now?
- Who is eligible for Courtesy Pay overdraft protection?
- If I have another form of overdraft protection set up for my checking account, do I still need Courtesy Pay overdraft protection?
- Are there fees?
- When do I have to make my deposit to avoid a Courtesy Pay overdraft fee?
- If I sign up for Courtesy Pay overdraft protection, will my debit card charges always go through?
- What are the Courtesy Pay overdraft protection limits?
- Can I add Courtesy Pay to a MyStart Teen Checking Account?
- How much time do I have to cover an overdraft paid by Courtesy Pay?
- If I don't sign up for Courtesy Pay overdraft protection, when will you stop covering my ATM withdrawals and one-time debit card purchases?
- What about my automatic debit card payments that I've set up with a merchant?
- What does Courtesy Pay overdraft protection cover?
- What if I decide I don't want Courtesy Pay overdraft protection?
- What if I change my mind and opt to have Courtesy Pay overdraft protection for my account?
1. What is Courtesy Pay overdraft protection?
The Courtesy Pay overdraft protection you may already have on your checking account allows us to cover your insufficient funds items on debit card purchases, point-of-sale (POS) transactions, ATM withdrawals, checks and ACH transactions, up to your approved limit. You will be charged $29 per covered overdraft transaction. This means that instead of returning a check to the merchant because of insufficient funds, the credit union may pay your item, saving you additional charges from the merchant. You must tell us if you wish to have Courtesy Pay overdraft protection for one-time debit card purchases made in person, by telephone or online; POS transactions, and ATM withdrawals. Your recurring debit card purchases (such as monthly gym memberships), checks, and ACH transactions will continue to be covered by Courtesy Pay and will be charged a fee if we pay these transactions when they overdraw your account. You may opt out of Courtesy Pay at any time by asking us to remove the service from your account(s).
2. How do I opt in to keep my Courtesy Pay overdraft protection working as it does now?
You may opt in by calling WPCCU at 1-800-300-9728, stop by any branch and ask for the Courtesy Pay overdraft Protection Form or fill out and submit the Courtesy Pay Overdraft Protection opt-in form.
3. Who is eligible for Courtesy Pay overdraft protection?
You must have a checking account and be a member in good standing to be covered by Courtesy Pay overdraft protection. An account in good standing must meet the following criteria: no charge-offs, no loan delinquencies of more than 30 days, no full restrictions on the account and your correct address must be on file. To have your ATM/POS transactions and one-time debit card purchases covered, you must opt in for Courtesy Pay overdraft coverage. If you have a MyStart Teen Checking account, the adult co-signer on the account may send a written request to add Courtesy Pay to the account.
4. If I have another form of overdraft protection set up for my checking account, do I still need Courtesy Pay overdraft protection?
We will first attempt to clear the transaction by using other overdraft protection you may have set up, including transferring any available funds from your:
1. Savings account
2. Money market account
3. Line of credit
Depending on how the overdraft protection is set up, you may choose your savings account or your line of credit to cover the overdraft. If there are no funds available in any of these overdraft protection options, your one-time debit card purchases and ATM/POS transactions will be denied. That’s where Courtesy Pay overdraft coverage can help. It may allow your debit card to keep working if you’re not signed up for overdraft protection from your other accounts. This can help when you are facing an unexpected emergency.
5. Are there fees?
There is no charge if you don’t use the service. But you will be charged a $29 fee for each item that brings your account balance to a negative status. Overdrafts on your checking account, up to a limit of $500 (direct deposit with $500 limit), $1,500 (with direct deposit exceeding $1,500), *$300 (without direct deposit), or $100 (upon request with a MyStart Teen Checking account), including the amount of the overdrawn item(s) and the Courtesy Pay fee(s), may be honored by WPCCU.
6. When do I have to make my deposit to avoid a Courtesy Pay overdraft fee?
You must make a deposit prior to any transaction posting to your account to be covered without a fee.
7. If I sign up for Courtesy Pay overdraft protection, will my debit card charges always go through?
No. Whether or not a transaction will be paid is discretionary and we reserve the right not to pay. Most overdrafts are paid, but there is no guarantee. The amount of Courtesy Pay overdraft coverage varies based on your account history, and whether or not you have direct deposit credited to the account.
8. What are the Courtesy Pay overdraft protection limits?
The three categories of Courtesy Pay and their limits are as follows:
- Members with direct deposit have a $500 limit
- Members with direct deposit exceeding $1,500 have a $1,500 limit
- Members without direct deposit have a $300 limit
- Members with MyStart Teen Checking accounts have a $100 limit. (Courtesy Pay is added to teen accounts only upon the written request of the adult signer on the account)
9. Can I add Courtesy Pay to a MyStart Teen Checking Account?
Courtesy Pay up to $100 will be available on the MyStart Teen Checking account only on the written approval of an adult signer on the account. If selecting this service, items such as checks, ACH transactions, or debit card transactions that cause an overdraft may be paid on a MyStart Teen Checking account, including the amount of the overdrawn item(s) and the Courtesy Pay fee(s). If we choose to pay an overdrawn check, transfer or withdrawal amount, you will be subject to a Courtesy Pay fee of $29 as set forth in the Fee Schedule. This schedule is posted on our web page, wpcu.org, or available at any branch.
10. How much time do I have to cover an overdraft paid by Courtesy Pay?
You have up to 30 days to cover the overdraft, either through a direct deposit, transfer of funds or a deposit at one of our branches, shared branches, or at an ATM. If your account remains overdrawn after 45 days, WPCCU may close your account, report it to ChexSystems, and refer it to a collection agency for follow-up.
11. If I don’t sign up for Courtesy Pay overdraft protection, will WPCCU cover my ATM withdrawals and one-time debit card purchases?
If we do not receive an opt-in authorization from you, we cannot pay your one-time debit card purchases (made in person, by telephone, or online) or ATM/POS transactions.
12. What about my automatic debit card payments that I’ve set up with a merchant?
If you have debit card purchases that are set up to bill automatically (like a gym membership), but do not have sufficient funds at the time of the transaction, the transaction will be denied.
13. What does Courtesy Pay overdraft protection cover?
Courtesy Pay overdraft protection may cover the following types of transactions:
- ACH transactions
- One-time debit card transactions made in person, by telephone, or online*
- ATM/point of sale transactions*
*These types of overdraft coverage will require you to opt in.
14. What if I decide I don’t want Courtesy Pay overdraft protection?
We’re happy to talk with you about other options for managing your account. Call 1-800-300-9728 and if you’re certain you don’t want your debit card overdrafts authorized when you don’t have sufficient funds in your account, we can remove this service.
15. What if I change my mind and opt to have Courtesy Pay overdraft protection for my account?
You will need to complete an opt-in form at any of our branches, or call us at 1-800-300-9728 and tell us that you want to opt-in. Once we’ve sent you a confirmation of your request, it may take up to 30 days to reinstate Courtesy Pay protection on your checking account.
This document is for information only. You are under no obligation to sign up for Courtesy Pay. For free financial information on how to balance your checkbook you can contact our BALANCESM Financial Fitness Program at 1-888-456-2227.
*up to a limit of $1,500 (with direct deposit exceeding $1,500)